Our journey to bring our Russian princess home

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Judge Said, "Dah"!





Us with the rep from the orphanage, the doctor, Yelena and Elena, our interpreter.





So we are now legally a family of 6! Yep, that's right, we are now the proud parents of a baby girl!

Court today went very well! Our time was scheduled for 11:00 am but we sat for over an hour waiting for the case before us to finish. Talk about a nervous wreck! Yikes! My stomach was in knots the whole time. I really had no idea what to expect. So, a little before noon, Scott went outside to listen to the cannon go off (it goes off every day at noon and if you weren't aware of what it was, you'd think you were being bombed!), and as he was gone, of course, our turn was up! So Yelena went out and got him. We weaved all throughout the court building (I still don't think I could find it if you paid me ) and entered a large room with yellow walls and above the judges seat was the Krasnoyarsk seal. The prosecuter, who looked no older than 21 was dressed in a blue suit that looked like a flight attendant, the other side had the orphanage doctor, and the representative of the orphanage, and Scott and I sat next to our interpreter, Elena. The judge came in, we stood up and sat down a bunch of times before it actually started.

So Scott got most of the questions asked to him and he did amazing! We were told that the judge didn't really ask questions but statements so our interpreter had to make what she said into a question so we would just elaborate on it. He was grilled for about an hour and a half and then the judge asked me to stand. The only "tough" question she had for me was why I wanted more children. Seriously, do they ever get someone who says, "I have no idea, i don't like kids". Really, that question makes no sense, but I guess it's something they have to ask.

After our questioning, we went out of the room so the judge can make her ruling. We were in the hall maybe 2 minutes before she called us back in and formally announced us legal parents of....Sophie Marina Boyd! Yep, her name is Sophie! Marina is her given name so we are keeping it as her middle name. I got a little teary eyed when she read her ruling. She gave a good laugh afterwards and wished us luck. Not sure why that's funny, should I be worried!?!? J/K! Bring it!

After pictures, we went to a "business lunch" with Yelena and Serge. It was...interesting! It was supposed to be "American" food. Hmmm....O.K! It was good to visit with them and learn a little about the orphan population in Russia and different facts about it. There was also a little nudge to come back and adopt Sophie's cousin, who is 6 in Kras. Let's not get ahead of ourselves!!! I'll pray she gets placed into a loving home, though!

We were fortunate enough to get to go see Sophie one more time. This time we were allowed to see where she slept, ate, and played. Oh, it was so sad seeing all those kids grab at our legs. They really liked Scott and kept calling him, Dada. I don't know what I was picturing, but not that. The space they live their little lives is so small. The bathroom where they each have lockers, their changing room, is so small. We got to see her crib. The 3rd one in a row of about 5 cribs. No fluff about it. Just a white fitted sheet. There were about 10 cribs in that room. There are 3 other areas just like that one.

We were also able to go outside and take pictures of the grounds and other children. They saw Scott coming and all ran up to him. It broke my heart and you can just see in their sad little eyes they want you to take them away. It's so hard leaving there with just one. I can't get those little faces out of my head. There are so many children who need good homes and a loving family to just hold them. I'm so glad God gave us little Sophie. She is such a blessing to or family already. The process we have gone through to get her (and we don't have her yet) has really made us re-think our priorities in life.

So we are headed back home tomorrow, without her, because she judge puts a 10 day waiting period before you can take her. We just can't be gone that long from our boys and Scott's work. I am going to hate leaving her here after it has already taken 3 days to get her used to us and recognize us. We'll have to start all over again when we come back.

We will return here in Kras on the 16th and gotcha day is the 17th! Then after we go back to Moscow for Embassy, we will bring Sophie home for good on the 22nd! Not soon enough, if you ask me!

Thank you for your prayers so far! We are almost home!


Scott and me in front of the courthouse.


Scott with Yelena and Elena


Her locker


The everyday playroom

Beds

Her playgroup on one of the 4 play areas





1 comment:

  1. Hi Kirstin,
    Holly Eppes and Shelby Koch are good friends of mine and they told me about you guys. As they talked, I vaguely remember crossing paths with ya'll in high school, I went to Anderson and I think had a ton of mutual connections.
    We brought home our little adopted Rwandaan in April! He is a delight and our #4 too. I have loved reading a little on your journey, hope to meet you around Austin sometime. I will be praying for this challenging month for you. What a huge gift adoption has been to our family and will be to yours too!
    blessings,
    Emily Schulz

    ReplyDelete